Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Hamm_Week #5

The issues from the article are political issues tied to a lack of accountability in society. Scholars like Ezell and Daly (2022) look at the imbalance in society today, between the colors in the culture, and blame those of the past on one side for the 'inequity'. I would counter that argument with the question: When do we start looking for changes that need to occur? Or, when does the blame shift to a moment of action for the betterment of society today? In several places within the article, there is hateful intention towards the European part of the American culture. Places where they would like to create a divide through decisive language, which is another way to show ethnocentricity--thinking that they have the answer. As a teacher, it is integral to remember my personal values so I do my job well. All of the research tells us that students value authenticity. If I were ashamed of my values (of my culture), I would be lying to students every day; which does not generate a sense of community.


Each and every person in a space deserves to have a voice. You cannot hear one voice and silence another. The value of being American is that every citizen has a spot at the table, and at that table, every person is valued for the ideas and work ethic they bring to it. This is how the 'sliding glass door' symbol is supposed to support the American culture, Stepping through to allow another perspective. The society developed at the beginning of the country's design has evolved and changed to incorporate the value of all thoughts.

My voice doesn't change depending on what role I am in at the time because my values are my values. I have a moral compass that does not alter within the roles assigned to me or those I take on for myself. The expectations of the greater society prefer for me to not have a voice as a teacher, but this is backward and is not a practice I adhere to.

Every person has value! Every person has an identity! And every person should be heard, even when I do not agree!

1 comment:

  1. I'm posting for Kaetlyn, who is having some technical difficulties!

    Response to Hamm:
    I really liked your response and think you brought up some great points! It is important to remember our own values and if we are to celebrate diversity in the classroom environment, we need to celebrate our own cultures too! When I teach social studies specifically, and studying Ellis Island, I explain to students how my great grandparents came to America. I encourage them to ask their own parents about their family history, because it is a cool thing to learn about! I think this celebrates diversity, while also ties in with a parent connection. Then, they can also learn that every family has a different story, and it is fun to learn about others!

    ReplyDelete