Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Schiefelbein - Week 5 - What is American Anyway?

Helping my students to connect to multicultural texts can be tricky when there is little diversity in the classroom.  Although this is the reality in my school, my students can still gain the skills and mindsets that are essential for learning from others' experiences.  This article reminded me of the intentional planning I do to ensure that the culture in my classroom is inclusive.  I want my students to feel supported in their pursuit of finding their voice in my classroom and beyond.  One of the key elements that I implement is a Social Contract that outlines how the students agree that they will treat each other.  Although it sometimes feels inauthentic in the beginning, it becomes a valuable tool throughout the term.  One positive impact the Social Contract has had on my classroom is that, over time, the students begin to lead more of the discussions in class.  Eventually, each student gets an opportunity to lead the class in a book-talk about book that they have read independently.  This has been a really valuable strategy in getting students to choose texts that are outside their comfort zones.  Encouraging students to read a variety of literature and to share their experiences with texts can be empowering both for the presenters as well as the audience.

I also want my students to know how valuable their voice and perspective is to the content in our class.  I use identity webs to get students thinking about, and talking about different branches of their identity.  Identity webs also set my students up for the complex narratives they will encounter in the literature we study together.  Ezell and Daly mention revising these identity webs at several points throughout the year, giving students space to reflect, and to make changes as they broaden their understanding of themselves.  I hadn't thought of making additions and changes to these webs throughout the year, and I think it would be a valuable exercise in the future.  Engaging in these reflections would help my students to develop a deeper understanding of how their identities change.  In turn, I think my students will be more willing to share their perspectives with others. 

References

Diaz, J., & Lago, E. (1996). Drown. Riverhead Books.

Ezell, S., & Daly, A. (2022). Honoring multiple identities using multicultural literature. Texas Association for Literacy Education Yearbook, 9, 35-41.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about my own classroom, while there is diversity, compared to that of the general population in the United States it feels minimal. I can relate when you speak to the importance of instructing on the mindset and inclusive environment that is needed. One might even argue that it is even more important to utilize multicultural literature is a less diverse environment.

    I love your idea for students sharing book talks. How do you structure this? Do students volunteer as they finish novels or are they assigned a week to do this? Does the sharing lead to a discussion? This sounds like such a great tool to inspire both community and a love of reading. I see that you already use identity webs in your classroom. Do you create these at the beginning of the year? Do you use these paired with a text or in isolation to get to know each other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer!
    I also come from a district with little diversity. I think it's important that you mentioned that we can still learn from each other. Having an inclusive climate in your classroom is arguably the most important thing to have, especially when you are discussing topics that people might not agree on. I love that you do identity webs in your classroom. Do students share their identity webs, or is it more of a personal assignment that you get to see?
    Thank you for sharing!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete