Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Schiefelbein - Week 6: Formulating a Philosophy

 Cultural dislocation is a unique challenge for anyone new to the U.S.   A Temporary Matter helped me to better understand how important cultural traditions are to one's identity as well as one's ability to cope through grief and loss.  The story also serves as a strong illustration of how cultural dislocation is unique to the individual, as both characters experience it on different levels.

I think this story paints a poignant portrait of the consequences cultural dislocation can have on our relationships with others.  When faced with challenging situations, we can become isolated and disoriented, when lacking the understanding of our own cultural expectations.  Similar to the characters' experience with the cultural norms of India, the supplemental texts provided some insight about the lives that the characters had expected to be living, but also left gaps in understanding how to react after the unexpected loss of their child.  As I read the story, I was reminded of the Glazier and Seo article, and felt like I was with Shukumar, fumbling through awkward interactions and feelings of failure and hopelessness.  And, while Shoba was able to rely on the postpartum Indian rituals to help with her physical recovery, she was unable to access resources to help her deal with the perinatal grief she was experiencing.  These vacancies largely influenced the loss of relationship between the two characters, and illustrated for me how much we all depend on cultural norms.

Stories woven with characters from diverse backgrounds are powerful tools that evoke dialogue in my classroom.  I think it is important that as I welcome more diversity into my classroom, that I lay the foundation for respectful discourse and guide my students to explore their own family histories and traditions.  I also need to be mindful of the instructional materials I use.  I strive to be diligent about finding text with which each student can connect, and to provide opportunities for my students to interact with stories through multiple lenses.

References

Ezell, S., & Daly, A. (2022). Honoring multiple identities using multicultural literature. Texas Association for Literacy Education Yearbook, 9, 35 - 41

Glazier, J., & Seo, J.-A. (2005). Multicultural literature discussions as mirror and window? Journal of adolescent & adult literacy. 48(8), 686-700.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer!
    I had some similar thoughts in the fact that the materials we read informed us on cultural traditions that occur after the baby is born, however, we didn't get to hear about any traditions if the baby does not make it. I wondered if there were rituals that differ from what I have seen. I think your statement about "laying a foundation for respectful discourse," is one of the most important things we can do as educators. Being able to allow safety and comfort in the classroom when discussing through those multiple lenses allows the students to feel comfortable sharing.
    One question I have is, did anything surprise you about the rituals we read about?
    Thank you for sharing!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I completely agree with you! They were already going through an incredibly difficult time as it was, let alone the cultural dislocation on top of it. One thing I noticed though was that grief is universal across all cultures. While every culture handles death differently, the loved ones left behind are always in grief, regardless of where they live. This is a human emotion and emotions can draw us together. When our loved ones pass away, the pain we feel is the same, regardless of where you live or what language you speak. That being said, we also all HANDLE that grief differently, and our culture has a big part to play in that.

    ReplyDelete