Thursday, July 4, 2024

Salow- Week 5

 The issues addressed in “Honoring Multiple Identities Using Multicultural Literature” by Ezell and Daly center on the need to address the identities of all of our students and some ways that teachers can do that. This article mostly speaks to practices that would be easier to implement in a reading class, which I teach, so I found the information to be applicable in nearly every way. One of the first questions I thought to myself was is there an age that identity as a focus makes the most sense? I mean this in the way of it being a year long discussion and discussed whenever the opportunity arises. I do think that discussing identity is absolutely necessary and important, but I think that the discussion would be better suited, and more in depth at some of the older ages. I teach 6th grade, and knowing all of the changes and struggles that my students go through, to add this what some could consider pressure to identify yourself when you are still trying to figure it out may not be the most conducive to a meaningful discovery of identity. I am not saying that it shouldn’t be talked about or discussed, but at the 6th grade level I think it would be more appropriate to analyze characters' identity and then by the end of the year give them the opportunity to apply the skills that we have discussed in class to themselves. 


It is so important for students to have a voice, but we still have to give students the time and space to find and use those voices in a productive way. I know many people who know they have a voice, but they use it in a way that is more harmful than productive. I do not mean just the people that disagree with my views. I mean the people who spout off loudly, but then are unable to have a normal productive conversation with respect coming from both sides. Those skills really need to be emphasized to our students while they are still in the process of or starting to find their true voice. 


The roles that I inhabit at this point in time are teacher, wife, daughter, friend, member of society, and soon to be first time mom. I would say that while reflecting on these positions now, there are some differences. The values and beliefs that myself and my husband have are going to heavily affect the way that we raise our children. That being said, I am not going to teach those beliefs or values to my students because I would not want someone to do that with my children. I believe that it is a teacher's job to allow space for students to feel safe and opportunities to learn and grow. It is not my job to raise them as my children. I do love them as my children but, they are not. I can wholeheartedly disagree with how parents are raising their children, but it is not my place or my job to raise them. The article discusses many great ways to allow the students to grow and develop their identity on their own.

References:
Ezell, S. & Daly, A. (2022). Honoring multiple identities using multicultural literature. Texas Association for Literacy Education Yearbook, 9.

2 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with your point about students learning to use their voice productively. I admire people who disagree with each other and remain close friends. That speaks to a high level of maturity when two or more individuals can be on opposing sides and still find common ground in their own humanity, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kennedy,
    I love that you mentioned your roles as wife, daughter, teacher, and soon-to-be mom. Congratulations! I also love that you mentioned your place in the world when it comes to beliefs. Has there ever been a time when you had to overstep those boundaries?

    ReplyDelete