Monday, June 17, 2024

Thoughts on the idea of bias

There is a large body of research that points to the existence of bias. This research has been conducted outside of the media. That's not to say that human media consumption doesn't impact human bias, but the research is academic research. The fact that bias exists or that I may have a bias or biases doesn't mean that I am a terrible person or that I discriminate or that I'm racist or ageist or anything else. It does mean that I may have tendencies to be more generous with some people over others, or less patient, or more interested in--the list could go on and on. And I think it's important to recognize that in myself, especially when I spend so much of my time with people: students, colleagues, parents, administrators. 

If anyone is interested in learning more, here's a link to Project Implicit, hosted by Harvard University in collaboration with the University of Washington, University of Virginia, and Yale University. See a definition of bias and the wide variety of implicit bias tests that have been administered to more than 20 million test subjects. Then head over to their sister site to read all about the research and the findings that have resulted. 

Return to the project site to take a test or two, if you'd like. As with any academic research, the research is regulated by an ethics board called an Institutional Research Board (IRB), whose role is to protect human subjects from harm. There's information about the IRB on the main page, and in order to proceed to take one of the tests, you must click on "I wish to proceed" to demonstrate that you are willing to have your results saved. Those results will NOT be connected to your personal information in any way, and you will not be contacted about them. Results are analyzed in the aggregate only, and they are anonymized, meaning that the researchers know nothing about names, IP addresses, or anything else that might identify you. 

You're certainly not required to take any of the tests or to access either of these links. I include them because the issues raised about bias may be of interest to some of you. I have completed several of the tests, and taking them--and considering my results--raised my awareness of who I am and how I think. I'm always interested in knowing myself better and in thinking about how I approach people. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment