Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Brett Beckman Week 1 Blog Post

Hello everyone!


I believe these articles are still relevant, even though they were written 16 years ago. I think we are still seeing predominately white teachers, even in extremely diverse areas and districts.I found it interesting in the Glazier and Seo article how they talked about although multicultural texts are important for students to see themselves in, it can make students in the majority feeling left out, which has lead to students feeling “cultureless”. One question I had about this thought specifically was, how has this changed over the year? I feel as though history classes have changed in some ways to explore American culture, and what it means to have so many cultures present in the U.S and how it contributes overall to a sense of being American. Would students now still say because they are white Americans that they have no culture? I also wonder if this changes depending on where students live geographically? (Sorry, I realize this is several questions). The article goes on to talk about how curriculum in school often avoids topics such as race, class, and culture. I found that to be the opposite from when I taught 8th grade U.S History. This could be because we were not given a specific curriculum and rather standards to talk about, but I still wonder how accurate this part of the article is for today’s students. 


Glazier, J., & Seo, J.-A. (2005). Multicultural literature and discussion as mirror and window?
Minority students in one U.S. high school class find their voices, but the majority
students have a different experience. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 48(8),
686+. https://link-gale-com.ezproxy.morningside.edu/apps/doc/A132746287/PPPC?u=
morningside&sid=bookmark-PPPC&xid=61f53cd6.

2 comments:

  1. Brett,
    I enjoyed reading your post. I teach in the middle school for science so my curriculum doesn't necessarily avoid racial or cultural topics. However, it gets very dicey when we teach about evolution, the history of the Earth, etc. I understand that students have strong beliefs one way or another, and it can be difficult to teach without mentioning my own beliefs.

    To piggy back off of one of your questions; about the geographical location... My district is not super diverse, which is surprising for its size, and just 30 minutes away we have an extremely diverse district. I would be curious to hear what that public district's expectations are with this since they have multiple races, ethnicities, religions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brett,
    As I did the reading I had the same question if sense of culture could be based on where students live geographically? I know in my mind when I think of culture I think of different countries but really culture can be based on where you live. My family lives in the country, we live farm life, and in the Midwest. However, my sister lives in Austin, Texas with her family where they live a very urban, city life. Totally different cultures in the same countries but we live life differently. Culture is a culmination of how you live life, how you have lived it in the past, and who you live it with. So I think part of teaching multiculturalism to students is helping them understand what their culture is now so that they do not feel like they have no culture.

    ReplyDelete