Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Minkler, Kaetlyn: Questions

 Good afternoon! 

While I was reading the two articles for the week, the article "Multicultural literature and discussion as mirror and window?" stood out the most to me. This article was all about a literature teacher exposing her students to new multicultural text, as well as creating a safe environment to discuss these texts and relate it to students' cultures. As I read the transcripts from her lesson, it was clear that multiple minority students were able to make connections between their own lives and the text and video. She experienced some difficulty with a student named Mark, who is white and of European descent. He struggled to describe his culture. As I was reading, I made a connection to Mark, because if someone were to ask me about my culture, I probably would have shut down as well. This encouraged my thinking, and I am wondering your thoughts too: How would I use multicultural texts within my elementary classroom when there is not a lot of diversity among students? Also, would a fourth grade classroom be mature enough for these types of discussions? For my Caucasian students who might struggle to define their culture, what other aspects make up culture (big family vs. small family, birth order, parents' occupations and beliefs, parenting style, etc.)? 

Glazier, J., and Seo, J.-A. (2005). Multicultural literature and discussion as mirror and window?. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy,  https://doi.org/https://moodle.morningside.edu/pluginfile.php/1430690/mod_resource/content/1/Glazier%20%20Seo%20Multicultural%20Literature%20and%20Discussion%20as%20Mirror%20and%20Window.pdf.

5 comments:

  1. Kaetlyn,
    I can relate to possibly shutting down if someone were to ask me about my own culture as well. I grew up and teach in a district that is not very culturally diverse at all, which allows me to ponder the same question of how to use multicultural texts within an elementary classroom where there is not a lot of diversity among students. I think it would be beneficial to record things students find interesting from the text and what separates it apart from their own culture/beliefs. For example, a Venn Diagram may be a useful tool to carry out this strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaetlyn!

    I agree with Brenna that having some sort of graphic organizer to compare/contrast cultures and beliefs could be a helpful means to expose students to other cultures.

    Also, in my classroom this last winter, we did a social studies unit on "Christmas Around the World". We talked a lot about how places and people have different beliefs and traditions. We also watched some fun videos on this, and made a few crafts that align with what other cultures do to express their beliefs!

    I think the more interactive you can make it, the better - if students can make connections to what they're learning and have a hands-on experience, they are more likely to understand concepts deeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas/Winter festival around the world is a really good way to open students up to the idea that many people have some kind of winter celebration and that the celebration differs by culture. Students will get to see how various cultural traditions overlap and where they are unique.

      Delete
  3. Kaetlyn,
    I can relate to possibly shutting down if someone asked me about my culture. I grew up in South Sioux, but I was the majority. Despite being a diverse town with parades, festivals, and locally owned restaurants, I still needed to learn more about my culture. I also like how you added these questions for a student's project who needs to learn more about their culture.
    Brenna and Cory,
    I loved your strategies for students to connect to different cultures, such as a Venn diagram and Christmas Around the World. Liberty Elementary has many other ethnicities, and the students are all very proud of their culture. Sometimes, the students wear clothing that represents their culture. Complimenting does not hurt because their faces light up when you compliment them. They will probably tell you about the item of clothing they are wearing. The students also take brain breaks by showing different music or dance styles, and the students dance along.
    What other strategies can you use to expose students to different cultures?

    ReplyDelete