Monday, June 24, 2024

Minkler - Week 4 Post

 My perspective is mostly informed by social media. I have not read that many multicultural books, and the movies I’ve seen are not always truthful. I am able to see what other countries look like and might be like based off of pictures and videos I see on Instagram and Facebook. I have taken some vacations and done activities based on what I’ve seen online. 

The ways in which we experience people, places, cultures, issues, etc. are influenced by how we first come into contact with them. For example, if you see a politically charged message on the news, you are receiving an altered message that feeds to an agenda. You are not receiving the whole truth. I think the same can be said for different social media sites. They say not to trust everything you see online, and that is completely the truth. On social media, we often see a snapshot into someone’s life, and it is usually on a good day. People don’t often film the bad days they have, or the negative things they are experiencing. This is true for other events too. For example, I am from Spencer, Iowa, which was almost completely destroyed in flood waters this week. I have seen countless videos and photographs from the horrific scene but social media doesn’t show everything. It doesn’t show the shelters of people that have lost absolutely everything. It doesn’t show my family and their neighbors cleaning out the feet of water in their basements, and all of their ruined furniture. It doesn’t show the impact that no electricity, running water, sewer, or natural gas has on citizens. Social media doesn’t show my ruined classroom, with floating desks and books. There are so many benefits to the use of technology available to us like access to quick information, advanced ways to receive knowledge, the ability to connect with others around the world, etc., but there are also these drawbacks that need to be considered. 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Kaetlyn!

    I often remind myself of technology's benefits and drawbacks. Too often, because news sources and social media only focus on one aspect of something (rather than the whole picture), people form opinions and beliefs that are greatly skewed from the truth that is being hidden. Being able to see and hear every perspective and analyze one's own perspectives is a skill that I find to be missing from many.

    With respect to multicultural books and movies, I too find myself having a lack of exposure to true depictions of other cultures. Is there a book you have read or movie you have watched that you found later to be not an accurate representation of a culture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaetlyn,
    I am so sorry to hear about Spencer. This is a perfect example of social media because I have only seen certain videos of the damage that is has caused. I am from Sioux City and they diverted the water through McCook Lake, destroying almost the whole town. The news and media has only shown certain things and people do not understand the true devastation that is actually happening with the flood. This just shows how easy it is to form perspectives based solely on short videos and news clips we see when we actually do now know the majority of what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaetlyn, I am so sorry that your hometown is experiencing such devastation. I agree that the media almost always misses the mark on telling the whole story. News shows are led by ratings and bringing in viewers and ad revenue. It is important to remember this as we seek to find information. As educators, we need to model this for our students.
    The exposure to quick clips of the world around us on platforms like TikTok work against us in building unbiased perspectives. The algorithm is designed to draw users in with content similar to what they seek out. So, if a student watches a few TikToks about Irish farmers, their for you page will eventually pop up similar TikToks. This means the exposure to the Irish culture will be formed by these videos and will not show any other parts of the Irish culture.

    ReplyDelete