Monday, June 24, 2024

Akkermann - Week 4 Blog Post

 Post Week 4: Pre- and Post-Conceptual Perspectives

 

I’ve never really thought about what informs my perspective.  Currently what informs my perspective is social media and Apple News email that I get every day.  Now when I say that I use social media I would say that it gives me a glimpse of what is popular in the news and then if it piques my curiosity enough I go searching for what it is talking about.  Apple News gives a synopsis of different happenings in the world.  Again, if it piques my interest I click on the story to read it.  Podcasts that I listen to shape my thinking as well.  One that has impacted my teaching greatly is Sold a Story: How Teaching Kids to Read Went So Wrong by Emily Hanford.  The reading that I have to do for classes like this informs my perspective too.  Reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini gave me a clearer picture of what Afghanistan was like previous to the Taliban taking over.  I did not know that it had been a communist country before being taken over by the warlords and eventually the Taliban. 

 

I know that the media impacted my perspective of the people and issues in Iraq when the war was happening.  My perspective was that the U.S. needed to be there to fix things, make things right, help others, and make unruly men behave civilly.  I found that it was not an easy fix and quite frankly it is not fixed.  I did not want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns for the fact that I thought I knew how women were treated, I do not like it, and I did not want to see it from a different perspective.  However, I did read it and learned a lot more than just what women endure.  There’s more to culture than the surface components but it includes deep components which is what I learned a lot about Afghan culture (Szeci et. al, 2010).

 

There are always benefits and drawbacks to the technology available to us.  The benefits are that the information is seconds away from knowing, it’s easily accessible, and there are many kinds of technology that a person can utilize.  The drawbacks are that technology doesn’t always portray truth, it’s not accurate, and it takes away from reading an actual book.

 

 

 

References

Szeci, T., Spillman, C., Vazquez-Montilla, E., & Mayberry, S., (2010), Transforming teacher cultural landscapes by reflecting on multicultural literature

Hanford, E. (2022, October 20). Sold a story: How teaching kids to read went so wrong. Features.apmreports.org. https://features.apmreports.org/sold-a-story/

Hosseini, K. (2007). A thousand splendid suns. Riverhead Books.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emily!

    I too see news via social media and, if it piques my interest, search deeper into the topic. Many people nowadays (some very close to me) get their news from Facebook or TikTok and form their beliefs, opinions, and conversations with others solely from these outlets. Being able to dig deeper into topics to ensure their reliability is so important - something I think many in our culture overlooks.

    After reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, what's one example of something you thought you knew about women or men in the Afghan culture that was changed by reading this book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly believed that Afghanistan as we see it now was what it had always been. So learning that in the 1960s-1970s that women taught in schools, had jobs, and didn't have to cover surprised me a lot. I understood better why at the beginning of that week we were told that it seems their culture has gone backwards.

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily,
    I, too, like to get my news from social media. I appreciate that it comes quickly, and is generally easy to read. Like you, if it interests me, then I will research further. However, if it does not, then I usually just read the headline and move on. As we have found throughout our country, sometimes just reading headlines isn’t the best. Headlines can be used as “click bait” and present false information. It is definitely hard to look past! It is very interesting how much of an impact that social media can have on our perspectives and our beliefs. I do agree with you that most of the time reading a book is better, however we still have to be careful and look at who that book is written by. It may have hidden agendas that we do not even realize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can appreciate the fact that we do have to be careful of who books are written by. I also can agree that we have to be careful about headlines. I think of the movie "Newsies" in this case because they would find a story and stretch the truth a lot just sell papers. The same is true of social media and media in general.

      Delete