Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Lansink - Perspectives (Week 2)

     First and foremost, the article written by Sabis-Burns and Lowery made me think about how not every piece of literature has the same meaning for every person. For example, some people may read something and think very happy and positive thoughts and other people may read something and think very sad, or negative, thoughts. This play on perspectives is noted in the article as “problematic” (Lowery & Sabis-Burns, 2007, 50). I would have to agree with Lowery and Sabis-Burns because if we do not understand the historical impact on various happenings and how they affect others, we cannot openly hear and seek to understand other cultures. Therefore, when reading multicultural literature, I may pause and ask questions like, “How do you think this event/idea impacted other cultures and what cultures do you think were specifically affected?”.
    A very impactful statement in the article reads as follows, “For many of these students, their first exposure to others who are different takes place in the reading materials found in their classrooms.” (Lowery & Sabis-Burns, 2007, 51). This gave me the idea to look for and make available multicultural literature in my own classroom library, especially because the district, and therefore classroom, I teach is not very diverse at all. I could even use multicultural literature during our read aloud time to spark discussions and allow students the opportunity to ask questions and make connections. It would be important for me to state that we all have different experiences, qualities, etc. which is why differing cultures is no different; a simple difference in one’s lives. This statement can promote positivity reflecting the statement, “Individual students’ success or failure weighs heavily on the teacher’s beliefs, intentions, and personalities rather than the curriculum, materials, and class size” ((Lowery & Sabis-Burns, 2007, 53).

References

Lowery, R. M., & Sabis-Burns, D. (2007). From borders to bridges: making cross-cultural connections    through multicultural literature. Multicultural Education, 14(4), 50-54. https://link-gale-com.ezproxy.morningside.edu/apps/doc/A168587716/AONE?u=anon~7bf73067&sid=googleScholar&xid=b44165d1

6 comments:

  1. Brenna,
    You are so right! I like how you would ask impactful questions while reading, so students can really soak in the literature and its effect on various cultures. I also am thinking about including more multicultural literature in my read-aloud time this upcoming year, as my school is not very diverse either. I think it is good to expose children to different cultures, and teach them the proper way to treat others who are different from them. It is a life lesson! I plan to teach my students that not everyone needs to have the same beliefs, hobbies, interests, etc. and it is good to celebrate our differences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more Kaetlyn! Our similarities seem to be helpful in understanding one another and our district's diversity!

      Delete
  2. Hey, Brenna! Your comment about the different experiences students have with literature took me down a different line of thought from yours. I'm not sure I would describe these experiences as "problems" so much as springboards to discussion. When students describe their experience with literature differently, it makes me curious why they feel the way they do and I want to open up a dialogue to see whether we can at least understand one another. I think that's what you were getting at in your second paragraph, actually. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess what I was trying to say is that what might be "redefining" and "celebratory" for one culture might actually be traumatizing for another. An example of this could be slavery. Although I'm not sure it's the best example as we now see it was wrong and can feel remorse and empathy for the other cultures/races involved.

      Delete
  3. Hey Brenna!
    The large point of the article that you found was one that I found to be very important to remember. This is one of the reasons that allowing collaboration and discussion is vital for deeper understanding.
    I really like how you focused on the importance of teachers decisions in the classroom. The materials that teachers decide to incorporate are the starting point for students to explore and see other cultures. I think that is something that educators should be challenging each other on. Being a reading teacher, there are books that "have just always been done" and I have had to have those conversations with the teachers to think they shouldn't change just because that is what we do. They have been difficult conversations but they are done for the sake of the students. Lowrey and Sabis-Burns are calling on teachers to reflect and not be afraid to respectfully challenge.
    Do you have any part of your curriculum that you believe you do just because that is what has always been done? Is there something that would be more beneficial in its place?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a new teacher I don't have strong feelings toward the content of my curriculum, especially as it relates to culture. Rather, I applaud our Amplify, reading/writing, curriculum because it's units cover a multitude of things form the Viking Age to the Ancient Roman Civilization to Native Americans.

    ReplyDelete