Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Lampman- Week 4

 This week’s post poses a discussion that I have with coworkers and friends quite often.  That discussion usually entails how people portray themselves on social media.  I think this discussion can relate to some of the questions you are posing because unless we know that person or place, do we really KNOW that person or place?  I think not.  For myself, I do post to social media, but typically I post about the good things and triumphs in my life so that I have somewhere that holds these memories as I get older.  I do this because I have had experiences where I have lost precious photos or videos of loved ones who are no longer with us today.  At the same time, one of my coworkers does not post because she doesn’t feel like she wants people to be that involved in her life.  Is either way wrong? No, however, people may think my life is always roses, but we all know life is a balance of highs and lows.  

That being said, I think the same could go for perspectives of other people and places.  Many times, people buy into what the media is telling them.  If the media is heavily focused on negative attention for a certain group, people will start having those beliefs without doing fact checking and not stereotyping.  I have had many discussions with my best friend who is on tiktok and the things she will bring up in conversation.  It’s always fear-leading conversations and I always talk her down asking, “What is your source? Have you done any research on your own off tiktok?”  I worry that we have access to so much information with technology these days, but people do not fact check or see if the source is reliable.  


Thinking about Recitatif by Toni Morrison, each main character had different memories from the same events.  I think our backgrounds and our biases play a part in what our memory holds and what ideas form from those events.  Like Szecsi et.al. states, “the term “landscape” to describe one’s personal understandings, including biases, preferences, and what she calls “vacancies” in the landscape. Vacancies are experiences to which one has never been exposed or even contemplated and likely create holes of misunderstandings.” (2010, p. 44-45).  This shows my perspective of one experience could be completely different than someone with a different culture or background.  I feel this is why it’s important to seek out each other and have discussions on the same topics and learn from each other’s experiences as well.  I think when we seek out understanding from each other, that is when we learn the most.

One thing that was confusing for me in Recitatif by Toni Morrison was when Roberta told Twyla that Maggie was black and that they too, kicked her. If anyone has an opinion on this, I would love to hear so I can ponder. Was this because she felt guilty for watching and doing nothing? Or/or was she trying to show Twyla that she still had biases about people with different ethnicity? When she came back to tell Twyla that it wasn't true, that is when I was mostly confused because I didn't quite understand the meaning behind that. It left me wanting to know more..

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sam!
    I personally took Roberta's memory of Maggie as the idea that memory is not always accurate. Because of the events that were happening at the time, her memory was distorted. I remember reading about a study that was done on the misinformation effect, where participants watched a car accident occur. Some of the participants were given misinformation on what traffic sign was there and the others were left alone. When asked to recall what type of sign was present, the misinformed participants' memory seemed to adopt the misinformation into their own memory (Loftus, 2005). I originally read about this in a psychology class, but the cited article gives the general idea of the study and more information on the misinformation effect.

    Loftus, E. (2005). Searching for the neurobiology
    of the misinformation effect. Learning & Memory, 12, 1-2. http://learnmem.cshlp.org/lookup/doi/10.1101/lm.90805

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your take! I think it would be interesting to just discuss this short story as a whole group to see what everyone thought as they were reading. I have so many questions and different scenarios I ran through my head as I read this a few times over.
      Also, very interesting information on misinformation effect. I totally see how this could happen, especially in more traumatic events where things seem chaotic.

      Delete