Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Dibert, Morgan: Week 1 Blog

I would like to start off by saying, I do believe that both of these articles are extremely relevant to this time. Even though they were written in 2005, a lot of the problems teachers were having in 2005 are ones that we are still having now. All educators are struggling with how to include multicultural ideas into the classroom without it feeling forced or feeling inappropriate. I know this is something that I struggle with as a teacher based on the culture that I identify with. I always want to make a welcoming environment for my students and allow for them to be able to see themselves in the texts we are reading. That means a I need to start pushing the envelope and introducing my students to more diverse cultures and identities. Both of these articles were extremely interesting to me. As a teacher, we are always taught to bring in multiple perspectives while teaching. After reading the article, Multicultural Literature and Discussion as Mirror and Window? by Jocelyn Glazier and Jung-A Seo, I am realizing the importance of it more than ever. This article talked a lot about the importance of students being able to connect to what they are reading. It talked about how students will comprehend a text better if they can see themselves in it. “ Text must be both a mirror, allowing students to reflect on their own experience, and as a window, providing the opportunity to view the experiences of others (Glazier, A Seo, 2005). The teacher in this article introduced different multicultural texts to her class to see how they would see themselves. One of her students, Julie, was able to connect with the text Ghost Dance and therefore the text was a “mirror” for her. One of her other students, Mark, felt he learned more about his peers through the reading, making the text more of a “window”.  What was interesting about all of this was how many of the students could not quite define what their identity  was. I am a fourth grade teacher and the school that I’m in is predominantly white. I think many of my students would struggle with this identity as well. 


The question that comes to mind is can someone have multiple identities? Could those identities be based on family? Could it be based on socioeconomic status? Could it be based on other life experiences?


References:

Glazier, J., and Seo, J.-A. (2005). Multicultural literature and discussion as mirror and window?. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy.

2 comments:

  1. I also thought both articles were relevant to teaching current day. I struggle with incorporating this into my classroom and I hope I can learn how to do this better because just like you, I want my students to feel welcomed in my class and that they belong. I do understand hat students need to connect with what they are reading and we need to do this beyond just having them read a cultural diverse text. I thought Julie was able to really have her students connect to that book and do so many things with her students to have them connect with it and truly understand it. I believe someone;s identities could be based on all of the following things you said and it is truly up to the person on how they identify with their own culture and why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One really helpful way to create a safe, welcoming environment is to ask questions and go ahead to say that I don't have all of the answers, either, since there aren't really answers as we typically think of them in the classroom. This is about what we've seen, lived, and believe, and those are not wrong or right; rather, they just are. When I say that and show it, students feel more comfortable sharing beliefs, perceptions, and experiences.

    ReplyDelete