Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Gill - Week2


 From 2021-2023, I worked as an ELL teacher.   I also worked with a curriculum from National Geographic for ELL and it is filled with multicultural stories in it.  Stories the students would understand while learning English.  In one particular story that had a lot of Spanish words in it.  The students giggled as I missed pronouncing the Spanish words.  They helped me pronounce the Spanish correctly.  I helped them pronounce the English correctly.   That story helped my student learn more, because they saw me make mistakes and learned that it was okay to make mistakes and ask for help.  

My attitude and belief during that lesson shaped how my students responded and tried so hard. Lowery and Sabis-Burns says,"Individual students' success or failure weighs heavily on the teacher's beliefs, intentions, and personalities rather than the curriculum, material, and class size." (pg. 53).  I think we need both.  I think our students need stories they can connect to and understand as well as a teacher whose, "identity is constantly evolving, shifting and modified by external context and diverse culture." (pg. 53).

I liked “The Way to Rainy Mountain”, because of the italicized explanations with the stories.  The stories connected me to the Kiowa Indians, the explanations connected me to Scott Momaday.  I think I could use this story and several others to talk about families and lifestyles.  In the 6th grade curriculum there was a book about Vishnu.  “The Way to Rainy Mountain” could go along with that story of Vishnu and Aesop Fables to explain lessons taught in stories.  


Lowery, R. M., & Sabis-Burns, D. (2007). From borders to bridges: making cross-cultural connections through multicultural literature. Multicultural Education, 14(4),50–54.

Momaday, N. S. (1969). The way to rainy mountain. University of New Mexico Press.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Regina,
    I had no idea that National Geographic had a reading curriculum. That sounds like such a great way to incorporate multicultural stories. Students love to see us make mistakes and try to correct them. It seems like you are making a very safe environment for your students to be in. I am also one to make mistakes and show my students it's okay to do so. I think it helps build that relationship between us and them. I really like the quote you used and how you were able to connect that to your beliefs. As you talked about, I think it is important to show students that we are always changing and learning new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I try to make a safe place for my students. I do think it is important for them to see us make mistakes and how we handle it. Sometimes we learn more from our mistakes.

      Delete
  2. Regina,
    Personally, I find myself to be more interested and engaged if a story is personal and someone's actual experience, so I think it's great you've been able to teach with personal stories! Especially as a young teacher, from the start I told my students that I would make mistakes as nobody is perfect and that I would also learn from them. I think this important to emphasize no matter the grade level because humans are lifelong learners. Not one single person will know everything there is to know id their lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Brenna. You are very right.

    ReplyDelete